OKANAGAN HOCKEY COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Last Amended March 26, 2017
The mission of the Okanagan Hockey Community Foundation (“OHCF”) is to support and encourage male and female student athletes in the pursuit of academic and hockey excellence and the promotion of good citizenship and community involvement (the “Mission”). OHCF recognizes the value of its relationships with applicants, applicants’ parents and/or guardians, billet families, hockey camp administrators and staff, coaches, donors and potential donors, board members and potential board members, volunteers, employees, education administrators, corporate partners and potential corporate partners, Okanagan Hockey Association students and alumni, and others who contact the OHCF or visit its website, YouTube page, or its other forms of social media (referenced individually as “you”).
- the information collected by OHCF;
- how OHCF collects, retains, uses, discloses, destroys and protects your personal information;
- certain of your options and obligations as a user of the Services;
- your requests to access or correct your personal information; and
- how to contact OHCF.
Compliance with Legislation
Our Commitment to Privacy
OHCF is committed to protecting your personal information and privacy and considers matters relating to the protection of your personal information and privacy to be of the utmost importance. OHCF adheres to the following principles to protect your privacy:
- All information which you provide to OHCF will be protected with industry-standard protocols and technology.
- “personal information” means information about an identifiable individual. Personal information does not include information that cannot be attributed to an identifiable individual, such as information of an aggregate or anonymous nature.
Personal Information Aggregated or Made Anonymous
To the extent that OHCF makes any of your personal information anonymous or aggregates it with the personal information of others such that it can no longer be attributed to you, your information will no longer be considered to be personal information and OHCF is entitled to use, retain, disclose and destroy such information in its absolute discretion.
Choosing to Provide Personal Information
When using the Services and dealing with OHCF, you may choose not to provide certain personal information. If you choose not to provide all information reasonably requested, it may limit the manner in which you can make use of the Services and otherwise interact with OHCF, or you may not be able to use the Services or to interact with OHCF at all.
You agree to share all personal information reasonably necessary to permit OHCF or any other entity authorized to carry out an investigation or review.
In certain circumstances, without limiting the foregoing provisions, including but not limited to when dealing with certain legal or security issues, OHCF may be authorised or required by law to disclose your personal information without seeking or obtaining your knowledge or consent.
Consent via Opt-In or Opt-Out in Certain Circumstances
OHCF also may, from time to time, provide you with a reasonable opportunity to opt-in to certain collections, uses and disclosures of your personal information. If you do not opt-in to a particular collection, use or disclosure of personal information when given a reasonably opportunity to do so, you do not consent to personal information being collected, used or disclosed in that particular manner.
Where OHCF provides an opt-in or opt-out opportunity, OHCF will use the opt-out method when the particular collection, use or disclosure does not pertain to sensitive information or would be reasonably expected by the user of the Services. OHCF will use the opt-in method in other circumstances.
Changing or Withdrawing Consent
If you withdraw certain consents reasonably requested and necessary to make use of the Services or to otherwise interact with OHCF, it may limit the manner in which you can make use of the Services and otherwise interact with OHCF or you may not be able to use the Services or interact with OHCF at all.
Your ability to change or withdraw consent is not absolute. OHCF reserves the right to continue handling personal information in those circumstances required or permitted by law despite a change or withdrawal of consent.
Any change to or withdrawal of consent will not apply retroactively.
Collection of Personal Information
In some instances, OHCF may collect personal information about you directly from a third party, which you provide ongoing consent for.
Use of Personal Information
The following are particular circumstances in which OHCF may use your personal information without obtaining your further consent. By providing personal information to OHCF, you consent to the following uses:
- using identification information and contact information, such as your name, address and e-mail address, to provide you with information about OHCF;
- using identification information and contact information, such as your name, address and e-mail address, so that OHCF can identify you and deliver the Services that you request and to communicate with you regarding those Services;
- using payment method preferences and related financial information that you provide to OHCF so that OHCF can obtain payment for the Services;
- using customer relationship information such as your service requests, instructions, comments and feedback to assist OHCF in delivering the Services in accordance with your preferences;
- using personal information for the purpose for which it was provided and certain other activities that are reasonably ancillary to that purpose;
- using your e-mail address to provide you with information about new features or enhancements to the Services;
- analyzing your personal information to assist OHCF in developing and enhancing the Services; and
- analyzing your personal information to assist OHCF in conducting market analysis and strategic planning.
Disclosure of Personal Information
The following are particular circumstances in which OHCF may disclose your personal information without obtaining your further consent. By providing your personal information to OHCF, you consent to the following disclosures:
- where the disclosure is set out in the related documentation for the Services or is reasonably expected through the provision of the Services;
- where OHCF is under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any applicable legal obligation, legal or regulatory process or an order or request of a government institution, investigative body, regulatory body or judicial authority of competent jurisdiction;
- where OHCF believes in good faith that disclosure is necessary:
- to investigate, prevent or take action regarding suspected or actual illegal activities or to assist government enforcement agencies or investigative bodies in that regard;
- to enforce agreements to which OHCF is a party;
- to investigate and defend OHCF against any third party claims or allegations;
- to protect the security or integrity of the Services; and/or
- to exercise or protect the rights, property or personal safety of OHCF, its users, employees, or others;
Use of the Services
In order to use the Services, OHCF may require that you provide personal information to OHCF and consent to OHCF collecting personal information about you from third parties. You may revoke consent to the use and disclosure of personal information by OHCF in writing. Please note that OHCF will not inform you in advance of any disclosure to third parties. If you would like to be notified in advance of any disclosure to third parties, you will need to advise OHCF in writing. By revoking consent to any other disclosure required for the Services, you may no longer be able to use the Services.
OHCF web servers collect the domain names, IP addresses and the activity of visitors. This information is aggregated for the purposes of measuring the number of visits, average time spent on the website, pages viewed, and other similar purposes. OHCF uses this information to measure the use of the website and to improve the content of the website.
Cookies can generally be turned off in an Internet browser. Because each Internet browser is different, users of the website should check the “help” menu of their browsers to learn how to change their cookie preferences.
Other Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
OHCF also reserves the right to collect, use and disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where permitted or required by law.
Accuracy and Completeness of Personal Information
When OHCF collects, uses or discloses personal information, it will make a reasonable effort to ensure that the personal information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete to the extent that is reasonable for OHCF’s purposes in collecting, using or disclosing the information. To do so, it may be necessary for OHCF to request additional information from you or have you verify personal information. Should your personal information change, please inform OHCF of the change(s) so that the personal information in OHCF’s possession remains accurate and complete.
Retention and Destruction of Personal Information
Within a reasonable time period after OHCF no longer reasonably requires your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected or for legal or business purposes, OHCF either will destroy the records under its custody or control containing your personal information or it will render your personal information anonymous so that it can no longer be used to identify you.
Security of Personal Information
OHCF recognizes its obligation to protect personal information that is in its custody or under its control by implementing reasonable security safeguards to keep confidential and secure your personal information against risks such as loss, theft, and unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or destruction. These reasonable safeguards may vary depending on the circumstances, including the level of sensitivity of the personal information, and may include restricting access to authorized individuals on a need-to-know basis, locked doors and/or filing cabinets, other organizational, physical or technological security measures, and contractual measures such as non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements.
Requests for Access to Personal Information
Requests for Personal Information
On your written request, and taking into consideration what is reasonable, OHCF will provide you, not later than 30 days from OHCF’s receipt of your request, or such additional time as permitted or required by law, with:
- access to your personal information (if any) under our custody or control;
- information about the purposes for which your personal information (if any) under our custody or control has been and is being used by us; and
- the names of persons to whom, and the circumstances in which, your personal information (if any) has been and is being disclosed by us.
If you request a copy of your personal information and the information can reasonably be reproduced, OHCF will provide you with a copy of the record or the part of the record containing the requested information or, if applicable, it will give you reasons for any delay in providing a copy of the requested information or record.
All requests may be subject to reasonable fees and disbursements. Where appropriate, OHCF may require advance payment of a deposit or the entire costs of responding to a request for access to personal information.
Requests to Access Personal Information must be in Writing
OHCF requires that all requests for access to personal information be in writing, be signed by the requestor and include sufficient detail to enable OHCF, with a reasonable effort, to identify any record in the custody or under the control of OHCF containing the personal information in respect of which the request is made.
Limits on Right to Access Personal Information
Your ability to access your personal information under OHCF’s custody and control is not absolute. OHCF reserves all rights not to disclose personal information, in whole or in part, in certain circumstances permitted or required by law, including but not limited to where:
- the disclosure could reasonably be expected to threaten the safety or physical or mental health of an individual;
- the disclosure would reveal personal information about another individual;
- the information is protected by any legal privilege;
- the disclosure of the information would reveal confidential commercial information; or
- the personal information was collected by us for an investigation or legal proceeding.
If access to your personal information is refused, in whole or in part, OHCF will provide you with the reasons for the refusal, the provision of PIPEDA on which the refusal is based, and the name of the individual who can answer your questions on behalf of OHCF about the refusal, and will inform you that you may ask for a review of the refusal in accordance with PIPEDA.
Requests for Correction of Personal Information
On written request by you, OHCF will make every reasonable effort to correct errors or omissions in your personal information where that information is in OHCF’s custody or control. OHCF requires that all such requests be in writing, be signed by the requestor, and include sufficient detail to enable OHCF, with a reasonable effort, to identify any record in the custody or under the control of OHCF containing the personal information in respect of which the request is made.
If you make such a request, OHCF will, as soon as reasonably possible and not later than 30 days from OHCF’s receipt of your request, or within such additional time as permitted or required by law, either:
- correct the personal information and, if reasonable to do so, send correction notifications to any third party to whom OHCF disclosed the incorrect information; or
- decide not to correct the personal information, but OHCF will annotate the personal information under its control to indicate that a correction was requested but not made.
OHCF will inform you of the action that it has taken in response to your request for correction, the name of the individual who can answer your questions on behalf of OHCF about your request for correction, and that you may ask for a review of the action taken in accordance with PIPEDA.
Notwithstanding any requests for corrections of personal information, OHCF will not correct or otherwise alter an opinion, including a professional or expert opinion.
Accountability and Contacting Okanagan Hockey School
Should you have any questions or comments regarding OHCF’s privacy policies, practices, or handling of your personal information or if you wish to request access to or correction of your personal information under OHCF’s care and control, you may contact OHCF’s Privacy Officer at:
Attention: Kalli Quinn
Address: 201-853 Eckhardt Avenue West, Penticton, BC V2A 9C4